Monday, July 16, 2007

iphone in the flesh

It's been a couple of weeks since the iphone launch. For a couple of months, I had had enough of the iphone. It was everywhere and I couldn't go five minutes on my or PC or TV without the iphone. Even my RSS reader (engadget and gizmodo, actually) was giving me a hard time. I had to subscribe to gizmodo's iphone free RSS for a short while.

It's back to normal in the tech world now. People now acknowledge other issues and life as I knew it before the iphone is almost back. Which brings us to one important thing. I hadn't seen it in flesh.

There's an apple store very close to where I work. In fact, I was having lunch near the store on the day of the launch and all the fools were waiting in line. I was going to watch Harry Potter on Saturday and the store was on the way. I went in and found one that no one was bothering with. The first thing that struck me was the size (It's smaller than I thought it would be.)

Watching the iphone ads is one thing. Seeing it for real, I was floored. I fell in love with the interface. It was a surreal experience browsing the photo galleries and pinching the maps.

However the internet experience was very slow and not that great. I also made a test call and spoke for 2-3 mins. It gets very hot. I don't how many people had tried it at the store, but it was uncomfortably hot and I wanted to end the call at one point to save my ear.

Also, 500-600 is too much for a phone. When I bought the ipod, it was a 5th generation product. I will give this one a pass and wait for a 3G version which will hopefully have a GPS on it.

No comments: